[Gllug] Come a cropper with LVM

Thu Mar 19 12:48:21 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:07:36PM +0000, David wrote:
>> The disk layout:
>> There are three physical Volume Groups (p1, p2, p3). p1 (sda2) and p2
>> (sda3) are primary partitions on the same physical drive, contain
>> multiple logical volumes and free spaces. p3 is constructed from two
>> logical partitions within a single extended partition on a single drive,
>> but on physically separate areas of the disk, and consists of a single
>> logical volume (LVsrv) and (currently) a little free space.
>
> Erm, this sounds confused to me.  Are p1, p2 and p3 physical volumes or
> volume groups?  You don't seem to be clear about the difference.  I'm
> guessing that you mean volume groups, looking at the description of p3.
> But it doesn't make much sense even if they are volume groups;  why
> didn't you just create a bunch of PVs and make one single VG from them?

Bruce,

Sorry to be confusing:
p1, p2, and p3 are individual and separate Volume Groups
p1 is a single physical volume
p2 is another single physical volume
p3 is made up of two physical volumes

I'm not sure that I had a good reason for having multiple VGs instead of
just one: questionable logic or a learning experience way-back-when?
p1 includes the 'domestic stuff', eg /root /home /opt
p2 is for project work and thus is often wiped out and re-allocated
p3 is for server space, eg web, DB...
Other than keeping things grouped for convenience I don't see a
particular advantage in separating them, although at one time I was
thinking of making that machine a Xen box, and thus admin/security may
have been eased in the VMs...

Given that the space I resized has been taken out of a VG, shouldn't it
now appear on the "Uninitialised Entities" list (within LVM) or
available for partitioning (parted) - or somewhere?

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk