[Gllug] Replacement SATA disk naming

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Mar 5 13:07:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:39:41PM +0000, Alain wrote:

> A 1TB disk failed[**] a new one has been installed and I go:
>
> 	echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan
>
> to rescan the disks. The old disk (removed) was /dev/sda, the new one
> (in the same slot) has appeared as /dev/sdc.
>
> Disk mirroring (kernel md) is looking for partitions in /dev/sda and I
> don't want to tell it about /dev/sdcX - because that will be called /dev/sdaX
> after the next reboot.
>
> How do I get the kernel to rename /dev/sdc as /dev/sda ?

Don't.  Use udev to create unique names (or symlinks) in /dev/ for your
disks and their partitions and then tell your raid software about that.

  udevinfo --query=all --name=sdc

should give you enough information to create a custom rule.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock