[Gllug] ntfs defrag

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 2 20:39:38 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009, Lucy Peters wrote:
> I have a ntfs partition for my data files. I know Windows xp has a
> program to de-fragment the ntfs drive in order to improve the speed of
> accessing the data to the disk. Are there a similar program in linux to
> provide such data maintenance for the disk?

Are you looking for a Linux program to defrag ntfs, or for programs which
defrag Linux filesystems? If it's the latter then the short answer is: you
don't need them because the filesystems are more efficient in the first
place.

Dylan

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk