[Gllug] Meeting this Saturday: "pavement to cloud"

Wed Mar 25 12:40:37 UTC 2009

Confirming the "Heads-up" ANN of 28Feb, our next meeting will be held
this Saturday, at Westminster University (New Cavendish St, W1W 6UW). If
you've not been before, there is a map on the web site
(http://gllug.org.uk). Please sign-in at the Security Desk.

	Saturday 28 March 2009
	Doors open: 1300
	Talks start: 1330
	Decant to pub by 1730

"From the pavement to the cloud":-

Peter Brownell (School of Everything) will discuss building a scalable
server infrastructure using (Drupal on Debian on) Amazon's EC2 cloud to
be able to cope with variable loads and indefinable growth-demand -
without the up-front expense. Did they find the switch from hardware
servers to virtual machines a welcome move?

Shaun McDonald (CloudMade) will illustrate the OpenStreetMap project and
in particular their system architecture and data/tagging model.

Mapping party: We will learn the practicalities of the project and are
invited to go out and collect points of interest of our own, before
returning to refine/update our local map with the proceeds.

At the end of the day we shall decant to a local hostelry.

If you would like to make a contribution to this meeting, please request
time *immediately*. You could improve the future meetings programme by
suggesting (preferably recommending) speakers, giving a 'lightning
talk', or by contributing your own time and expertise. Please contact
Stephen Nelson-Smith or myself...

Regards,
=dn
(on behalf of the 'gang of four'/GLLUG (meetings) leadership team)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk