[Gllug] best way to update a single production server?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 22:17:48 UTC 2009

2009/5/1 Khusro Jaleel <kerneljack at gmail.com>:
> I apologise for coming back to this thread so late, I obviously made a
> mistake by stating "MUST be up 24/7" as it seems to have upset quite a
> lot of people.
We are not upset. Its just that we've had experience of similar
demands/requests in the past.
It is only by being what is considered rude in the non-geek world that
you can expose what the management/client really wants, or really is
willing to pay for.

Khusro, wlecome to GLLUG by the way. I hope you stick around.

And, by the way, here's how to cope with this one in the short term.
Perform those upgrades. Get friendly with the night shift of cleaning
staff. show them a nice place to plug in the hoover, where they can
safely remove the existing plug. Make yourself scarce. Extra brownie
points in the sysadmin world if you get a pat on the back for reviving
that dead server in quick time next morning.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk