[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Matthew King mking at knight.monnsta.net
Thu May 14 14:56:55 UTC 2009

- Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org> wrote:
>
>> Then again, one of the best and most prolific developers I know uses
>> original Bill Joy vi and swears that *the shell* is his IDE.
>
> I tend to agree, although I'd expand the definition slightly.
> Collectively, my window manager, the shell and vi are my IDE.

I have always wondered why people need to especially get an IDE as it
suggests that their workstation (including the surrounding heaps of
paper and assorted junk items) isn't it.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk