[Gllug] Detecting increase in underling disk size

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Thu May 14 11:28:01 UTC 2009

Gents,

I'm currently trying to do an on-line resize of a file system without
having to reboot a virtual machine. So far it is failing.

The base storage is a FC SAN, shared between a small cluster of servers
and running cluster lvm.

The disk image for a VM is stored as a logical volume on the SAN.

Each VM runs LVM on their disk and uses ext3.

So far I have tried:

1. lvextend on the clvm volume on the SAN. This successfully resizes the
   volume. pvdisplay on a dom0 (vm host) confirms this.

2. fdisk -l on the VM does not detect the new size of disk.

3. partprobe on the VM does not detect any increase in disk size

4. fdisk on the dom0 (vm host) does show the increase in size. fdisk is
   able to increase the size of the partitions.

5. partprobe is then run on the dom0 to detect the increased partition
   size and returns the following:
	# partprobe -l
	Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!

After a reboot, the new partitions are detected and I am able to
pvextend, lvextend and resize2fs to increase the size of the / fs.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get Linux (specifically Centos
5.3 in this case) to detect the increased physical volume size without
the need for the reboot?

Thanks,

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk