[Gllug] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed May 6 16:45:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 02:26:12PM +0100, James Laver wrote:
> On 6 May 2009, at 14:03, Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > Actually I think that Apple are right on the money with this one.
> > I've had a series of laptops and I have *never* removed or replaced
> > the battery in any of them.  Why are batteries any different from,
> > say, displays or processors?  Well, maybe I don't fly around the world
> > enough[1].
>
> A typical battery starts to get a bit crap after a year or so, so that
> you need to carry a spare. After 3 years, you need to carry a power
> adapter because it's completely unusable.

I've not found this to be a problem.  My iBook G4 from 2003 has a
perfectly good battery that still gets five hours [sic] on a single
charge (which is more than can be said for the display, which failed
because of a well-known design flaw that Apple denied was a design
flaw and refused to fix, which was subsequently the subject of legal
action).  I had, until very recently, an IBM Thinkpad from 1998 which
still works fine on the battery.  I have several other laptops which
have no problems with battery life.

In fact the only laptop I have which has a dud battery is one which
was previously owned by another person.  I always drain and charge
batteries properly, and keep laptops running on mains when I'm near to
a convenient socket.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones