[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed May 13 19:41:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 01:19:47PM -0400, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> Well I've just done a few (not massively scientific tests) picking
> moderately distant points in a block of code and timing how long it
> takes me to select the text between them. In pretty much every case the
> mouse takes 3 seconds, the keyboard can take anywhere between 3 and 10
> seconds. Even factoring in  a whole second each way to switch between
> the two (generous if you ask me) that leaves mouse quicker in many
> cases.  If you find it slower maybe your keyboard repeat rate is higher
> than mine, or your mouse is slower, or maybe it's because you're only
> displaying 80 cols where as I'm displaying double that?

The one thing I find VI very good for is wacking the same change into
multiple file, such as an include file change, vi *.c do change and grab
into the buffer, :w :n paste :w :n etc..... and normally I use emacs for
editing source files. The way howeverit loads multiple files into different
buffers just do not make it work well in this case.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk