[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Wed May 13 11:51:35 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> writes:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:11:32AM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> [...]
>> Yes, yes it does, but then it takes over the entire terminal, which means
>> I need to open another one...
>
> Alternatively, learn how to use Unix job control. It's one of those things
> you need to know in order to be an efficient shell user.

I know about job control, thanks :=)

I like to have my emacs running in a separate window from my terminal
shell, so I can run e.g. a full-screen curses program at the same
time. Forgetting to do -X on ssh is my leading problem with that...

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/            | +44 7866 561014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk