[Gllug] Stripped down CentOS 5.3

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon May 25 15:31:34 UTC 2009

--------

Hakuna Matata writes:

>what i want to my system for sure is Apache/Tomcat/Mysql  thats all.
>now i do not know who is the best contender to remove from the linux.

The best approach is to do a minimal install in the first place. Don't
accept the installation defaults, because that gives you a whole load of
crap you don't want or need. Deselect everything, and you'll have a much
better starting point. You'll still have more than you should do[1],
but you'll be better off than you would otherwise be. If you've already
installed the OS, and can't do a reinstall for whatever reason, then
the quickest way is to remove the X server and libraries. That'll take
with it most of the rest of the system, leaving you a reasonably minimal
setup. Then just pick of the rest bit by bit until you get to a level
with which you're comfortable. But you've said you want GNOME utils, so
that's probably not an option for you. You might want to see if you can
make do with the command line tools available to you instead.

Tet

[1] In future releases of RHEL, the Fedora Minimal Platform should help
    with that: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MinimalPlatform
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk