[Gllug] MS grumbles

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Fri Nov 6 10:54:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 07:04:54AM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> Dan Kolb wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:48:05PM +0000, Christopher Currie wrote:
> >
> >> Someone wrote that Bill G decided against passwords in about 1989. No,
> >> presumably in 1980-1, when he bought what became MS-DOS. With the 8-bit OSs I
> >> was used to, I was *astonished* to discover, when I started having to use MS-
> >> DOS, that it had no passwords.
> >>

> > Yes, it's just shocking that a single-user, single-tasking OS, designed for a
> > standalone computer didn't think that passwords were necessary.
>
> Yes, the data on single user devices is never valuable to miscreants is it.

So you routinely encrypt all your data? Once you have physical access to the
computer, it's generally not too hard to get hold of the data, password or no
password for system access.

Dan
--
You can bring any calculator you like to the midterm, as long as it
doesn't dim the lights when you turn it on.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk