[Gllug] EEE issues

Frazer Irving superfraz at clumsyjedi.com
Wed Nov 18 22:31:41 UTC 2009

A quick update to let you know how I've gotten on. There will be more info
to come assuming I continue to have such good luck (or even if I don't I
guess :)). MTC indicates 'More to come' for the remainder of this message.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. I am pleased to report
I now have a working system which is (within a day) a thousand time better
than the old one. Briefe description of the events:

1.  Attempt creation of USB disk using unetbootin377 (FAIL, probably because
of poor msdos boot formatting skills from me, based on err messages. MTC if
interest)
2. Bought USB DVDRW burner from local vendor @ €65
3. Flawless boot of EEEBuntu CD followed by a failure to boot the live
system through ISOLINUX shell (corrupt kernel, MTC if interest)
4. Download, burn and install of Ubuntu Netbook Remix - one seamless,
errorless step that allowed my to keep playing 'Napoleans Tomb' for the bulk
of the process. Nice.
5. Not a step, but let me congratulate the guys who make 'wodim' here. Used
to be called cd*[notworkproper|something] as I recall and it was an awful
program. Now: Good prog, even better man page. Best thing I ever got from
the existing EEE apt sources. Seriously good stuff.
6. ... # obligatory profit step in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
7. I'm working away on my new system. Thanks to everyone who shared ideas
and opinions. You have saved my hours and dollars :D

Before I go, on the front of USB 3G modems, I have not forgotten the good
advice I have received, but I realised that even if I can overcome the
technical issues there is still the minor problem of asking the ISP what the
phone number is to be dialled by the modem. To that end I have located a
linfriendly tech who reckons he can negotiate with local ISPs to figure out
who is most likely to provide a good service to a Linux user, and also to
try and extract the dial in number from them. Assuming it goes well, or at
least if the blockage  is not on his end, I will post his details (with his
permission of course) in case anyone else holidays here and wants to check
it out.

Again, thanks all.