[Gllug] Firefox (was: Tuning the CPU scheduler)

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Tue Oct 27 15:49:41 UTC 2009

> Take Firefox, for example. I have mentioned on here before how I
> think it's the biggest pile of crap to hit the desktop in a
> very, very long time. I loathe it with a passion.

Interesting that you're unhappy with the performance of firefox.

I've had great success running x86 (only Pentium-optimised)
Firefox on diskless Linux workstations for a custom-built call
center environment.  Despite poor hardware, a lack of
optimisation and the network latency overheads, everything has
been running fine, with the occasional exception of Acrobat
Reader browser-plugin related instabilities (almost certainly
not Firefox's fault).

Firefox is flexible enough that I've even been able to pre-load
the Firefox cookie cache with various records to support
'single sign-on' (user logs on to X, firefox auto-starts and
the user is pre-authenticated to the call center web interface).
Any software the size of Firefox that is this machine-
configurable across so many operating systems, has such a rich
potential feature set (plugins/extensions, etc.) and has done
us all a social service in competing against M$ probably
deserves more than to be called names...

Which hardware / kernel config are you running under?  What
Type of pages are you talking about accessing?  (Anything with
Java / Flash / embedded PDFs can be much slower than static
pages...)

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk