[Gllug] ebook readers for technical books

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Oct 21 14:58:20 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Sean Burlington <sean at practicalweb.co.uk>:

>> I would stick to "older" technology (netbooks, specially earlier ones,
>
> If they had screens like the ebooks then I would
>
>> I played a bit with the Sony reader and was unimpressed, it felt
>> cumbersome and very impractical.
>
> But the screen is so much more comfortable to read than a computer screen.

In what way are they different? Don't the readers use LCDs? I haven't
ever seen one, wasn't actually aware the Kindle was on sale outside
the USA.

>> Now that there are editorials out there that distribute technical
>> books without all the DRM nonsense I don't want to encourage the
>> companies peddling cripple-ware to read books.
>
> I agree - and I can't see ebooks taking off significantly while the
> publishers try to "sell" such restricted items for the full cost of a
> hardback book.

DRM question aside, would you expect to pay a LOT less for a digitised
book? Do Amazon subsidise the cost of the Kindle device on the basis
of expecting future sales?

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk