[Gllug] wicd manager

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Oct 18 23:12:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 18:41 -0400, lucypeters at mail.com wrote:

> 2 lewi-cam-1a-ge91.network.virginmedia.net (81.100.0.61) 26.213 ms
> 26.222 ms 26.166 ms

Your first and most obvious problem is Virginmedia.  When I had the
misfortune to be connected to their "service", I would frequently find
losses of connectivity for hours at a time.

VM would invariably claim that there were no faults in the area (though
the whole street would be without connection at the same time).
Eventually, when their "helpdesk" had exhausted their useless scripts
(at £0.50 per minute), they'd suggest sending an "engineer" to my home.
Their "engineer" invariably turned out to be entirely clueless - my cat
would have more complete understanding of networking, computing and the
simplicities of a cable network (they couldn't ever be described as
"complexities"!).

In the "good old days", Cable Camden had over 95% of the households
connected in this area.  Since the advent of VM, this has dropped to
well under 15%, and their decline continues.  Their "service" is very
expensive, unreliable, and blatantly misrepresented - little of their
much-vaunted "fibre" network is actually fibre, they provide NO fibre to
the home, their "20 Mb/s" is actually < 5 Mb/s with the occasional burst
to >10 Mb/s, and their "unlimited" service is actually stringently
capped at a point that prevents the reliable and timely download of
distro disks...

You really should vote with your money, cancel VM as they can't provide
the service they're billing you for and demand a refund!  Almost anyone
else is better than that crowd of charlatans!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk