[Gllug] Intermittent Network Loss on Centos Web Server

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Sep 25 07:37:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:27:40 +0100, George Siddiqui
<georgesiddiqui at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm experiencing regular intermittent (10-20 per day)  network dropout
> (over SSH and HTTP) on a web server running Centos 5.3 and was
> wondering if someone here could suggest what I could try next.
>
> Much of the time  the network connection resumes itself - sometimes
> not.  When it doesn't (strangely enough) if I log the machine back on
> to itself as root via ssh - all network services resume for a number
> of hours till then it fails again.

There has been much talk of a faulty NIC, and changing that will probably
cure your problem but if you're interested in further diagnosis, this
smells awfully like an ARP problem.  Doing an "arp -a" on the machine when
it is incommunicado would be informative.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk