[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Sep 7 14:05:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 02:56:30PM +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> This is also the fault of decades of "education, education, education"
> culture with belief that getting a degree will entitle you to a good
> job, good money, good life etc... which turns out to bitterly not be the
> truth for the very latest generation who just get saddled with debt and
> not much else. The older generation for whom it was true, to which a
> friend of mine belongs and remembers it was a time when only 5% of
> adults went to university and that was the point. It was simply because
> you expected smart people to go to university and hence make it a quick
> way of separating the chaff from the wheat. Since that's no longer the
> case, it's still the older generation perpetuating the old myth and
> doing a disservice to the very latest generation who can easily come out
> of university and end up very disillusioned.

Not quite sure what you're proposing as an alternative to this.  The
days when people could get unskilled jobs as factory workers or
labourers are long gone.  Machines replaced those jobs, it seems quite
likely in future that robots will increasingly replace semi-skilled
professions like nursing.  That we need to raise everyone's level of
education looks pretty obvious from here.  Maybe broadening access to
universities wasn't the right way to do it, but no one is coming up
with any other suggestions.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones