[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Sep 1 14:51:08 UTC 2009

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 02:43:00PM +0100, Martin N Stevens wrote:
>
>> As for the best programmers, thats a matter of style. Some of the cleverest
>> programmers code barely worked, whereas
>> some of the best code I have seen has come from sysadmins, In fact I totally
>> believe that most programmers should work
>> on the support desk for thier software at some point, and this is what I
>
> +1 - this teaches programmers to write maintainable & understandable code & documentation.

I've found that one of the most surprising lessons which programming
teaches you is how impenetrable your own code can seem when you come
back to it only a few weeks after you wrote it.  What seemed a triumph
of neat and elegant programming at the time of writing has transformed
itself (like a hosepipe stored in the shed next to the bicycles) into a
tangled and incomprehensible lump.

You know you're starting to become proficient at programming when you
find you can return to your own code after a year, read it and say,
"This is really nice code - I can see what it does".

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk