[Gllug] $HOSTNAME

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:04:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM, John G
Walker<johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Where is the $HOSTNAME variable set in OpenSUSE 10.1, using KDE3?
> Surely it's set from etc/HOSTNAME? Except they're suddenly different.

$HOSTNAME is set in the shell, using uname(2). Presumably KDE is
started by a shell script, and hence it probably inherits it from
there. Where the data returned by uname is set, I couldn't say. On Red
Hat-like systems, it's taken from a line in /etc/sysconfig/network. No
idea on SUSE, I'm afraid.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk