[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Sep 9 17:13:58 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 9 Sep 2009, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>Something people have made an error in is assuming that someone on £50K
>has lots of money or is very comfortable,

Someone on L52K is in the top 5% of earners in the country. L39K puts
you in the top 10%. It is not an error to assume that such people have
lots of money; it is the truth. They might also _spend_ lots of money,
of course.

>when in reality it might all be getting sucked up in to a high house
>price mortgage

Which obviously does not in any way, shape, or form represent a
valuable asset they enjoy the use of.

>with "right to buy". Older people who bought houses cheaply when there
>was less pressure on housing probably won't think like this though since
>they haven't got high mortgages.

For reference, I do not now and have never owned a house. I live in
rented accomodation and have done so for many years.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies
Yesterday was Brieday, August.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk