[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:56:39 UTC 2009

- Tethys wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm surprised we're talking about degrees any more these days,
>> especially in a practical job like IT, I thought everyone already
>> figured out that degrees were a waste of time and money?
>>

> At a guess, you don't have a degree. They're far from a waste of time
> and money. Certainly at the time I did mine, a degree in computer
> science equipped you to deal with the world of IT far better than
> learning on the job, and consequently, I'd always hire someone with a
> relevant degree in preference to an equivalently skilled applicant
> without one. Although that said, having seen the ineptitude of some
> recent candidates with first class honours in computer science, I have
> to wonder what on earth they're teaching them these days...
Tet, didn't you just contradict yourself?

Your final statement is the same as my experience of many people that
I've known over the years which was what prompted my statement implying
that it wasn't a defining factor any more.

As for being a waste of time, how many applicable/employable/practical
skills could you have picked up in the same time that would be of more
direct benefit to your employer?
I think about ticking this box off every now and again just for the sake
of it but am often disappointed in the courses, flexibility and real
world value. I've actually known lots of IT people who've told me
straight up that their IT degree was a complete waste of time...

As with all things in life, I think it comes down to the individual.

Back to the original point, yes it's even more ludicrous to mention a
degree for £18K.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon