[Gllug] IPCOP/m0n0wall appliance or Draytek Vigor?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 00:42:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 08:32:50PM +0100, gvim wrote:
> I want to setup a soho DMZ based on a red, green & blue 3-NIC firewall similar to the IPCOP setup I had a while ago on a bulky, noisy old P3. Options are:
>
> LinITX/m0n0wall kit:
> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12346
>
> LinITX/ipcop kit
> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10109
>
> DrayTek Vigor 2820n
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5267
>
> I don't think the DrayTek does 3-NIC red, green & blue DMZ so may
> not be the best choice. The LinITX/ipcop firewall is much more
> expensive than the m0n0wall alternative so I wonder if I'm getting
> much extra for that? If the the m0n0wall firewall is suitable for
> the DMZ setup I have in mind my inclination, at this stage, is to go
> for that.

The main difference between the two LinITX machines is that the
m0n0wall uses an ALIX board with less RAM, and no VGA or PS/2 port
(serial only). You also need to add the cost of a PSU to the price.

If you can cope with a serial console then the ALIX box is a nice
little machine for a firewall - small, low power and no noise. I've
run Ubuntu and Debian on them, but not IPCop. IPCop v2.0 will run on
them when it is released, but I don't know about IPCop 1.4. Best to
ask the ipcop-user mailing list if you need to know.

I've not used m0n0wall, which is BSD based, but it should handle
most of the common DMZ setups.