[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:43:01 UTC 2009

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM, John G
> Walker<johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:41:56 +0100 Christopher Hunter
>> <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't have bank loans!
>>>
>> Then you're a very unusual person. You don't have a mortgage, you don't
>> use credit cards... Most people in the developed world, in fact, are
>> heavily in debt. It's very Victorian of you to only pay out what you
>> earn, but maybe that's why you feel you're badly-off, when the rest of
>> us borrow as a matter of daily habit - and pay vast sums to financiers
>> who contribute nothing as a result
>>

> I'm not entirely sure why 'Victrorian' is being used as a pejorative
> term.  I don't think I share the economic or social view of
> Christopher or Hari but I think a person who lives sustainably should
> be admired, not pilloried.  I would also point out that my own
> experience bears out that it's perfectly possible to live in such a
> manner (ie without borrowing money, and by maintaining a suitably
> simple life) on a very low income - I did so for many years.  Now that
> I earn a generous amount of money, I actually find it much harder to
> not spend more than I ought!

+1 on all counts there Stephen.

People have been tricked in to thinking that being in debt is ok (this
has only helped to push house prices up as well as people get more and
more used to taking out huge mortgages just for somewhere stable to live)

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon