[Gllug] Rsync dovecot Maildir directories

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Apr 6 10:45:55 UTC 2010

On 04/06/2010 11:23 AM, Michael-John Turner wrote:
>> into Maildir folders using Dovecot IMAP. The thing is I'm now wondering
>> what the implications are for rsync-ing to my laptop for weekends away.
> An alternative solution is to run an IMAP server on your laptop and
> synchronise that with your main IMAP server using imapsync[1].

Why not just turn on local caching in thunderbird, and not need to worry
about things like this? Thunderbird has ( atleast since >= 3.x ) very
good offline support.

The other advantage of offloading this job to the mail client is that
you no longer need to manually merge chunks of emails back upstream (
which is what one might need to do if using multiple imap servers - and
they both see content changing ).

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk