[Gllug] Trojans and social engineering

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:53:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, t.clarke wrote:

> Just a throw away thought - but I have always felt that one of the
> dangerous aspects of GUIs - Windows at least - is the fact that a user
> can simply click on an icon/filename without any clue as to whether it
> represents an executable or a file of a particular type to be
> 'operated upon' by ana potentially unkown executable.

Yes.  Is IS the OS not just the users fault.  In Windows you can click
on a url with a .exe it'll ask if you want to run it and you're
infected.

In Linux* if you click on a binary nothing happens, just "save-as..."
Then you can bring up a shell, navigate to the d/l directory, chmod and
./ execute it.  If you know enough to do this, you also know NOT to do
it in the 1st place.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk