[Gllug] New PC/laptop without Windows preinstalled

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Aug 22 23:17:49 UTC 2010

On 22 Aug 2010, Christopher Hunter stated:

> On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 00:26 +0100, Nix wrote:
>> On 19 Aug 2010, Berni Elbourn said:
>>
>> > These are fab: https://secure.dnuk.com/store/desktops.php
>>
>> Strongly seconded. Excellent build quality, excellent after-sales
>> support, excellent repair contracts (which I haven't needed because none
>> of mine have failed yet), excellent free replacement when the lorry
>> delivering them evaporates in transit along with all its contents and
>> its driver. :)
>
> They seem, unfortunately, to be twice as expensive as the competition!

In my experience, stuff half the price of DNUK's is unreliable as hell,
and you only figure this out after you've received it and *if* you're
clever enough to do some hefty burn-in tests. I like my data in one
piece without spontaneous single-bit-flips, MCEs, or random data loss,
so I pay the price for a bit of quality.

Most of my friends prefer the high-street-store or assemble-from-bits
approaches. Yes, it's cheaper, and every one of them has been through
hell, often expensive and very time-consuming hell, root-causing some
subtle fault in some component or in the integration of components (heat
dissipation, airflow, power...). I can't afford to do that (nor do I
have the physical coordination), so I pay for something that works first
time, thanks.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk