[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 13:31:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:00:27 +0100 John Edwards
<john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> Assuming you are using the KDE login screen (kdm) then:
> 	sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart

This file doesn't appear to exist, but  think SuSE moved a lot of stuff
from init.d

Anyone any idea where I can find it? Though it may not be the problem
(see below).

> This may not kill your current X session.
>
> Control-Alt-Backspace in an X session will also force it to be
> killed and then usually restarted by kdm (or similar). But it
> usually disabled in "user-friendly" distributions like Ubuntu
> because it is rather dangerous and some people hit it accidentally
> (lord only know how).
>
> In a console 'sudo kill /usr/bin/X' and 'sudo kill -9 /usr/bin/X'
> will do the same.

Control-Alt-Backspace has brought back my desktop, but I've still got
problems. The windows I get don't have the various buttons (minimise,
maximise) and I can't move them. I seem to have only one desktop,
although it tells me I have six and I can't create a second session. I
think It crashes as soon as it tries.

> But you said that had done a reboot, which will have done a restart
> of X along with everything else.
>
> It is possible that the communication between your X server and the
> X clients (the programs) is broken somehow. Things to check are your
> home directory, ~/.Xauthority (the X magic cookies file), and the
> X socket files in /tmp/.X11-unix/.

I tried to have a look at .Xauthority and also some xsession-errors
files that I found. Unfortunately, I can't find which program to use to
read .Xauthority and I can't make head nor tale of the .xsession-error
file I found.

It reads

/etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_GB.UTF-8 ...
There is no default input method for the current locale.
Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by default)
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'display-device' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'remote-host-name' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'session-type' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'unix-user' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection X
Error: XSyncBadAlarm 166 Extension:    146 (Uknown extension) Minor
opcode: 11 (Unknown request) Resource id:  0x0 X Error: XSyncBadAlarm
166 Extension:    146 (Uknown extension) Minor opcode: 11 (Unknown
request) Resource id:  0x0 kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kcminit_startup.so kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so <unknown program name>(4335)/
KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating:
"Marianne;1283173265;746516;4335_TIME0" : "unnamed app" kephald
starting up XRANDR error base:  176 RRInput mask is set!!
".xsession-errors" 369L, 28810C

Does this make any sense?

> The contents of /var/log/Xorg*log may also be useful.

I looked at these files and they only informed me that X couldn't find
various font folders which I don't think I have anyway. I could
investigate further if I had some idea of what I was looking for. But
these were the only errors reported.

Does any of this give anyone any more ideas of where I should go?

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk