[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 16:09:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:32:37 +0100 John Edwards
<john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> If not then try moving the ~/.kde* files out of the way.

Bizarre. It now works.

What I did was  (in another session, since, by now, things had once
again deteriorated to the stage I couldn't get a bash window in my KDE
session):

mv ~/.kde4 ~/oldkde4

When I logged on again into my KDE session, I got the default
background (not mine) but couldn't access any programs. A worse state
than ever, since I couldn't even email for help. "Oh shit" I thought
and, going back to the command line session, went:

mv ~/.kde4 ~/newkde4
mv ~/oldkde4 ~/.kde4

thinking that, at the very least, I'd be able to send panic emails. To
my surprise, once I stated my KDE session again, everything now works
(touch wood). At first this seemed totally mad, but forcing the
recreation of ~/.kde4 seems to have had the secondary effect of fixing
what ever went wrong.

I'm always a little bit wary of things that mysteriously go right, but
I think I'm going to have be trusting on this occasion.

Whatever it is, thank you very much John. If we ever meet, I owe you a
pint at the very least,

--
 All the best,
 John