[Gllug] hello

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Aug 11 07:45:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 22:23 +0100, Frank Scott wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 09:30:46PM +0100, Shannon Carver wrote:
> > Anyone notice the increase in unsolicited junk recently? :P
> I've set his moderation bit on the 3 GLLUG lists he has subscribed to.
>
> I presume he has some 'bot which automatically trawls for subscription
> lists and signs him up.

There's a lot of it about.  It's a Windoze Trojan that has become very
common lately, spread through music downloads, ignored by many of the
"anti-malware" programs, that uses Gmail accounts for the purpose of
spamming.  The Trojan uses a malformed .lnk file placed on the victims'
desktop, which the uninformed will click on!  This is a demonstration of
the impossibility of making anything from MS properly secure.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk