[Gllug] PAYG mobile broadband

Tristan Miller psychonaut at nothingisreal.com
Mon Dec 20 15:51:38 UTC 2010

Greetings.

On Monday 20 December 2010, InstincT wrote:
> On 20/12/2010 15:17, Tristan Miller wrote:
> > I got my Vodafone pay-as-you-go dongle on Friday and tried it out.  It
> > works, with one extremely irritating caveat:  the device must first be
> > used on a Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X machine.  I assume that the
> > dongle is somehow locked at first, and that the proprietary MS
> > Windows/Mac OS X "installation" software unlocks it.  I've posted
> > further details at
> > <http://forum.sakis3g.org/smf/index.php?topic=262.0>.
>
> I recall some USB modems required a firmware to be uploaded on first
> use. Different
> firmwares would be uploaded depending on the selected region/isp.

The MS Windows installer wasn't interactive; it didn't prompt for my region
or ISP.  So if it really was loading firmware, it's kind of annoying that
this wasn't done by Vodafone in advance of my having purchased the device.
(The dongle didn't come with a separate installation disk; whatever
firmware was loaded must have already existed somewhere on the dongle.)

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o         Tristan Miller          ><  Space is limited