[Gllug] Buying a switch (a sort of repost/recap on an old thread)

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 14:45:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:30:16PM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM, John Edwards
> <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> CPU is 500MHz Geode with 256MB RAM. Not powerfully enough for a
>> desktop, but fine for a router/firewall/bridge. Only possible
>> problem I can see is that the ethernet is only 10/100 Mbps.
>
> You have a connection to the net that's greater than 100Mb/s? If not,
> then it'll be fine.

Richard's original email was for a "reasonable gig-E switch"
that he could use to segment his internal network. So I think
we might be talking about more than just a border firewall here.

But even 100 Mbit/s is only likely to be a bottle in an internal
network if you have multiple machines copying large data streams
across the router at the same time (eg high quality video).