[Gllug] Content filtering proxy server

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Jan 10 21:47:29 UTC 2010

On 10/01/10 20:42, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Peter Corlett  wrote:
>

>> I recommend putting the computer where they know you're watching what
>> they're doing.
>>
> Then they do it at a friend's house. That's what my step sister does.

Parents are responsible for making sure that their children aren't
harmed by anything they see on the net. There are two approaches. One is
to stop  them from seeing anything harmful,  the  second is  to make
sure that they aren't harmed by anything they might see. Neither of
these is easy to do but the second  is  likely  to be more effective.

At one point I was responsible for a school network where all of the
pupils had laptops. We had people permanently working on stopping
"unsuitable" material from getting downloaded. There was always someone
who found a way round whatever systems we used, I doubt that there will
ever be a 100% effective blocking system that still allows the kids to
do their school work.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk