[Gllug] Linux device for scripting/terminal access

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:32:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:03:43AM +0100, Andrew Back wrote:
<snip>
> Btw, does anyone know if Maemo development has effectively ceased now that
> it's been rolled together with Moblin to make MeeGo? These things are all
> very cool for various reasons, but as a fan of Debian ways I was put off the
> N900 and successors due to MeeGo adopting RPM packaging etc.

New devices will use be using MeeGo. Nokia may put it into
maintainence mode, but maemo.org could continue work on it.

Rather than RPM, I think the major difference will be the switch
from Gtk to Qt and what is likely to be complete rework of the
user interface.

The thing that put me off the N900 was the 500 UKP starting price.
In the middle of it's lifetime the N810 was around 200 UKP.