[Gllug] Analysing Exim logs

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 11:28:13 UTC 2010

On 30 March 2010 11:58, Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:
> This must surely exist but my Google-fu is failing me :-(
>
> We run exim and process around 15,000 emails per day. I'm familiar with
> eximstats and we use this to produce a daily summary report.
>
> A lot of the mail we send is from e-commerce applications and clients
> have asked for reports detailing delivery failures originating from
> specific addresses (e.g. orders at example.com) so that they are forewarned
> when someone has entered their details incorrectly.

smtp is an unreliable mail delivery protocol. It has a "failed
delivery" option, but hardly anybody uses it for security against
spam.
So, even if you do parse the logs for failure messages, it is unlikely
to be 100% reliable.

There are other options for checking email address accuracy.
User enters email address in web site.
web site sends a special email to that email address.
Until the user respond/reply to the special email, the email is
assumed to be invalid.
Much like the method most email mailing lists use.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk