[Gllug] GDM Xclients script

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 12:34:33 UTC 2010

Hi GLLUG,

I updated my Debian unstable for the first time in a few weeks last
night. I decided I'd better switch off rather than just hibernating
afterwards.

Now I can't seem to log in using the "Run Xclients script" option from
GDM properly. When I select that option, it starts full GNOME sessions.

It seems that when I run /etc/X11/Xsession it starts GNOME, when I'd
expect it to run my ~/.xsession script as it used to.

I've implemented a temporary hack with a
/usr/share/xsessions/foo.desktop which looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xsession
Comment=Run my .xsession script
Exec=/home/richard/.xsession
Terminal=False
Type=Application

[Window Manager]
SessionManaged=true

However, this isn't really desirable. And also I'd like to know why
GDM isn't doing what it used to, rather than just apply pasters.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen anything like this before?
--
Richard Lewis
JID: ironchicken at jabber.earth.li
http://www.richard-lewis.me.uk/
| Support open access to scholarship           |
| http://freeculture.org/ http://www.doaj.org/ |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk