[Gllug] conversion from WinXP to Linux

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Fri May 7 10:36:42 UTC 2010

On Fri 07 May, Tethys wrote:

> --------
>
> Richard Jones writes:
>
> >[1] The wisdom of writing a book using Word is another matter.  I
> >found it to be almost entirely the worst tool imaginable for this
> >purpose.
>
> Having written one using OpenOffice (not entirely through choice),
> I can assure you I have a very strong contender for that title...
>
> As an aside, I could do a GLLUG talk on typesetting and printing a
> book using free software, if people are interested.
>
> Tet

   I think there could also be interest in obtaining the best technical
quality printing full colour graphics. I used to be in contact with someone
doing DTP who moved files around between different operating systems to use
the best facilities available on each, and adjusted the gamma curves, dot
sizes and layout, etc, to match the individual printing machine, inks, paper
and materials, and other equipment, all to achieve the best possible result.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk