[Gllug] A little OT: On the limits of VLANs

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri May 14 21:43:36 UTC 2010

Dan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM, general_email at technicalbloke.com <
> general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>

>> Also I was advised of a potential "mac flooding"? attack that might
>> force a switch to fail over into a hub mode of operation. I'd also like
>> to check if my new switch is vulnerable to that attack, any ideas what
>> its actually called, or what tool(s) can create it?
>>

> If your still interested.  On Cisco stuff I think it's called 'port
> security'.  This will prevent a single port from allowing an undesirable
> number of MAC address's being used by one port.  Thus you can't often
> overflow the CAM table which stores the MAC addressing to physical port
> mapping.  If this isn't enabled though you can overflow the CAM table and
> then the device will move into the failopen mode and basically operate as a
> hub.
>
> To test you can use macof which is part of dSniff and comes with Backtrack
> Linux.
>
> What simple version of Linux did you go for in the end?  I've used Xubutu &
> Fluxbuntu in the past.
>
> Dan

I am interested thanks v.much, will d/l a copy of backtrack :)

Still using Ubuntu Jaunty while I'm developing, hopefully getting a new
box in the next few weeks so I can dedicate my old one to it. Still not
decided what to run on it yet tho, considering Xubuntu as I like the
Ubuntu repos but as it make very little practical difference I wonder if
I shouldn't use it as an opportunity to branch out and try something
different, maybe centOS? Is it easy enough to get a desktop installed on
top of that, anyone?

Regards,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk