[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Nov 5 20:14:48 UTC 2010

On 05/11/10 17:25, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> As an aside - it is notable that NO labour government IT project has
> EVER worked properly, to budget and on time.  The Fire Brigade IT
> disaster followed the NHS one (the FB affair was quite effectively
> hushed-up, but a little research will reveal the whole ghastly mess),
> and every other government IT project has been an abject failure,
> without exception.

Given that your desktop choices were DOS6, Win3.1 and OS2 (hooked up, if
you were lucky, to a 28k modem) when labour came into power last you may
as well say no serious UK GOVERNMENT IT project has EVER worked
properly.  I guess we'll see if the tories can do any better in due
course but uk.gov's track record with IT has been pretty lousy ever
since they failed to finance babbage's analytical engine (and come to
think of it Turing's ACE) properly.

I was quite young when the tories were in power last so I don't remember
their reign in any detail but I'd guess the most complex working IT
system they would have presided over (although developed under a labour
GPO) would have been Prestel which, at its peak, only consisted of 12
networked machines for the whole UK. Even that couldn't survive long
once BT was privatised unlike France's Minitel which is still in use
today and AFAIK still turning a profit thanks to a bit of foresighted
early government subsidy.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk