[Gllug] Snoracle

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 08:10:22 UTC 2010

On 21 Nov 2010, David L. Neil outgrape:
> Whilst SQL is pretty much SQL (even if MySQL didn't include sub-queries
> for a long time (there were work-arounds) and excluding our good

The database server is quite something (though less practically
featureful than e.g. PostgreSQL: it has more features, but all the extra
features don't work properly). Unfortunately Oracle frontend
implementation is shit at best. Every frontend (Forms, Pro*C,
ReportWriter, even things like Financials and PL/SQL which you'd guess
would be built directly on the server) has its own independent
implementation of SQL, each with its own limitations and bugs. e.g.  in
10.2 RANK() works everywhere other than in Pro*C (where it gives a
syntax error): in 9.x any use of CLOBs in Forms caused the Forms Java
frontend to instantly terminate (no messages of any kind, just
insta-death), and in 10.1 the same is true of TIMESTAMP.

> anything like the tool-sets that are an integral part of Oracle. Oracle

i.e. 'shit'?

> Forms is a killer-app, but I still cast about looking for a decent

I've used it a lot. 'Killer' is not a word I would use. 'Dire' is the
best phrase I can think of. Its alleged support for modularity, for
instance, is just this side of wholly useless. Expect to do a *lot* of
cut-and-paste coding or (very, very slow) mass recompilations.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk