[Gllug] Diagnosing hardware faults

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 22:13:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:08:00PM +0000, John Edwards wrote:

> Some problems do not occur when each element of a system is tested
> in isolation, only when they are combined or placed in certain
> enviromental conditions. Drives engineers crazy.
> ;)

Reminds me of a prob that I had 20 yearsish ago with an Apricot box.
It worked fine, except when it was doing backups when bird droppings appeared
on the line printer. The point that hammering the hard disk & the floppy
at the same time drew too much from the PSU & the voltage dropped, generating
line noise on the RS232 port.

The problem didn't happen with MS-DOS that the machine normally ran under
because it did not multi task -- but Xenix did!

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk