[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Oct 27 17:56:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 10:11 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:06:36AM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
> > During an electric shock, your muscles contract. First use a test
> > device like a live detection device like those screw drivers with
> > lights on them. You should never really have to test for live by
> > touching it. The advice about test touching with the back of you hand
> > it correct safety advice. If it was live, your fingers would form a
> > fist and so, if you used a finger or the palm of your hand, you would
> > grip the item that is causing the shock that is not a good thing to
> > do.
>
> I have also been told, use your right hand ... your heart is on your left
> side and so should not receive so much of a jolt. I don't know how
> good this advice is.

Having been resuscitated using lots of electricity, I can assure you
that the right hand side of the body passes current to the heart just as
well as the left!  I've still got the marks to show for it.

I died in the street in Cambridgeshire about two years ago (complete
heart failure) and was restarted by a couple of ambulance men who
wouldn't give up.  I was a guest of Papworth Hospital for 3 months,
where I had my heart rebuilt (artificial valves, aorta and an ICD -
Implantable Cardiovertor Defibrillator), and now have to enjoy a rather
quieter life!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk