[Gllug] A linux printer ?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Oct 7 06:45:45 UTC 2010

On 5 Oct 2010, Tethys told this:

>>And compatible with open source drivers, not only Samsung's crashy crud?
>
> Yep. "PostScript" and "networked" being the key words there.
>
>>Also, I'm not sure if it cost under a hundred quid five years ago.
>
> No, but I bought my ML-3051ND around that time, which has similar specs
> and was hardly expensive. Probably 150 quid or so, ISTR.

Ah, three times the price of mine then. That explains the differences.
(FWIW I've not had a problem with USB printers since CUPS became the
standard, so I don't entirely understand the hate-on for them. What
really matters is that it can talk something vaguely standard:
Postscript or PCL makes no difference to me, other than that PCL is
easier to render an image from so probably makes the printer cheaper.
Halfway-sane USB printers should all use the USB printer class, so
anything that can talk to one of those should be able to talk to all
of them.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk