[Gllug] iPhone syncing

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Oct 19 18:58:07 UTC 2010

On 19 Oct 2010, damion yates outgrape:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with owning an iPhone without having
>> easy access to iTunes?
>
> None of you?

Well, me, but I doubt my experience would help.

> I've had no responces at all, does this means that none of you have an
> iDevice?  Or that all of you that do are using MacOS or Windows?

I'm using Rockbox on an iPod Video. It means that the iPod's dedicated
video processor isn't used, so videos are too slow to play back, but I
don't want to watch videos through that nailhole of a screen (which is
by now quite battered in any case). But it also means that I get a
kickass audio player with more features than you can shake a very large
treetrunk at, longer battery life than the native firmware, and a player
that's just a USB Mass Storage device, without the horrible garbage-
filename stuff the native firmware forces on you.

(My understanding is that libgpod et al are the thing if you use the
native firmware, but I've never really tried them. Rockbox was so
far superior for my needs that there was just no contest.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk