[Gllug] Problems rebuilding a RAID5 array after a failed disc on Centos 5

Oliver Howe ojhowe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 20:37:57 UTC 2010

I have rescued the data finally.

After reading the messages file again I realised it was /dev/sdc that held
the array but it still wouldnt mount.

So I thought I'd overwrite it and make a new filesystem with

mkfs -t ext3 -c /dev/sdc

but that didnt work either, so I then did

e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/sdc

after a few dozen presses of the 'y' key I hit ctl-c and did

e2fsck -b 32768 -y /dev/sdc

this ran for over 24 hours and reported errors at the end, so I did it again

e2fsck -b 32768 -y /dev/sdc

this ran overnight

finally I could do

mount /dev/sdc /disk02