[Gllug] Port filtering question

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 28 20:58:15 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I have been struggling with this for a few days now. I am trying to set up
an icecast server on my desktop machine. Everything seems to be working
fine, except that nobody can connect to the port.

I have set up NAT on the router, even tried removing the router firewall
completely and putting the machine in a DMZ. However, nmap always shows
the icecast port as (filtered) instead of (open). On the other hand, if I
run apache on port 80, then it shows port 80 as (open) and it is possible
to connect to that port.

I am not running any kind of firewall or packet filtering firewall
software on the PC as far as I can tell, as I generally use the router as
the firewall. So is this a bug in the router, an ISP issue or is there
something on the desktop machine doing this ?

Cheers,
Salsaman.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk