[Gllug] Small form factor backup machine

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 06:41:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 07:36 +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> I need a small, preferably silent machine into which I can install two
> (or better 4) disks, to run as a local backup server in a hybrid
> solution, backing up its contents offsite.

Have you looked at the Drobo range? They're pretty much plug and play
and the DroboShare option runs Linux.

> Data volume is very low (like 100s of GB) but space in the office is
> at a premium.
>
> Performance not an issue either, although multiple network cards would
> be advantageous and integrated or easy to add wireless network would
> also be good.

If you really don't care about performance, have a look at Soekris.
http://soekris.com/

You should be able to get a few disks in with one of those and they're
silent, can have many wifi cards, and are small.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk