[Gllug] Small form factor backup machine

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Wed Apr 6 00:41:19 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 19:21, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:09:40 +0100, James Hawtin<oolon at ankh.org>  wrote:
>> Out of interest what processor do those things have in them? Does it
>> support VT so could run VMs on it?
>
> AMD Athlon™ II NEO N36L apparently, in which case, yes apparently
>
> That's exactly why I was interested -- might manage to wean a couple
> more clients off of their 'doze on the desktop if they can have a VM in
> the corner of the office for that one last application they still need,
> and then they could have silent boxes in the rest of the office (like
> OpenRDs, say) and have a much nicer office environment.

Just bought a couple (base spec 1 250 GB/1 GB no DVD), to answer a few
questions:

- takes standard SATA 3.5 in supplied caddies
- 8GB RAM max
- 64 bit and full VM support
- tested with Proxmox 1.8 (KVM/VZ) OK
- tested with SME Server 32 bit OK (version 7.4 or later requires to
support the TG3 NIC)
- power draw 32 W start up with 2 x SATA 1 5900 TB drives
- not all that fast but very useful little box that should support
several server style VMs as long as they are not too busy
- the deal we used ended 31/3 but some have said now extended?

It's a proper server and gives one a strong feeling of reassurance cp.
any small NAS box I have seen...

--
Stabilys Ltd
www.stabilys.com