[Gllug] Forward of moderated message

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 10:18:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:25:45 +0100
James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2011 5:10 AM, "Peter Cannon" <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Wine is an emulation environment of Windows so Photoshop is not
> > actually
> running under Linux natively it's merely a trick to make it usable
> under Linux.
> >

> But WINE is not an emulator. It is an api.
> For Linux apps, you have libc etc. So that the linux app can talk to
> the kernel. WINE is an api so that window apps can talk to the kernel.
> WINE runs windows apps naively in Linux.

I agree with your view that applications which run under wine run
natively on the target machine (the windows calls are directed into
libwine, not some virtual emulation layer that some people on this
mailing list still seem to insist it does).

However, it is worth saying that libwine does very little directly with
the kernel - it runs on Mac, FreeBSD and solaris as well.  Instead it
mainly interfaces with the native calling libraries - glibc, X11, alsa
and so forth.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk