[Gllug] Reasonable Salaries

Stephen Ford ascdump at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 12:19:31 UTC 2011

I agree a one year probationary period is way too long.  During this
period the unfortunate individual would be disadvantaged and
constantly under pressure to "go beyond the call of duty" to aid in
passing the probationary period.  You can see whether a person fits in
to the organisation within a couple months, even though they might not
be up to speed, a good manager will be able to see the progress the
employee has made and have an idea of their potential.

My understanding of recent cases at my relatively large employer, is
that rolling year long contracts can no longer be used as a means to
get rid of people easily and cheaply.  Apparantly employment courts
have seen through this sham used by employeers to essentially negate
or reduce redundancy payouts, as such an employee who has had rolling
year contracts renewed a couple times can, with a fight, validly claim
the benefits and protection of the law given to permenant contract
employees.  They can also expect that after a couple renewels that it
will be constantly and automatically renewed without needing
confirmation.  My knowledge and understanding of this isn't much - it
is from hearing about these cases discussed at our trade union
meetings (which is pretty large).

Low salarys, even justified with carrots of training, are something
that churns my stomach as promised training seldom materialises.
Paying a good salary, providing training, and having reasonable claw
back clauses (if you leave a short time after finishing an employer
paid course, you pay back some money) protect the company and
encourage staff to be loyal.

Most employers forget the main thing: "We don't go to work to make us
happy, we go to earn money to aid us in doing things that make us
happy".  Money is the primary reason we work, I know its my carrot.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk